This Mother Warns Against The Dangers Of Flammable Halloween Costumes After Her Daughter Was Seriously Injured

British television host Claudia Winkleman experienced something last Halloween that all of us parents dread yet presume will never happen to us. While out trick-or-treating with her 8 year old daughter Matilda, Matilda’s supermarket bought costume brushed against an open candle that was lighting up a jack-o-lantern and immediately caught fire.

What happened next is the things nightmares are made of, with Claudia explaining to BBC Watchdog in a video posted to their facebook page that she can best describe it as her daughter ‘going up’ in flames.

We couldn’t put her out. Her tights had melted into her skin. … She went up, is the only way I know how to describe it. It was not like fire I had seen before.

Like if your shirt caught fire or anything I could put it out. It was the tights that… They came back to life. It was like those horrific birthday candles that you blow out and then they come back.

Winkleman first filmed this interview back in May but it’s making the rounds now with Halloween right around the corner. She says that it was the tights that her daughter was wearing that did the most damage and when asked if she would do anything differently she said ‘I wish that I had made her dress in, I don’t know pajamas, nice cotton pajamas or something like that. But I can’t do that, that’s how she was dressed.’

1 2Next page


Kelli is a Lead Writer at Hot Moms Club. She's a Canadian living in the US with a longstanding love affair with entertainment news and celebrity gossip. She has written about it for some of the most popular websites in both Canada and the US including Entertainment Tonight Canada, I'm Not Obsessed and Babble. When she's not chauffeuring her 4 kids back and forth to the rink for various hockey and figure skating activities, she can be found glued to Netflix or reading a great book.

Related Articles


Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker