The Perfect Fall Dinner Party Recipe. If your hosting friends this fall, here’s the perfect dinner party recipe for you. You can make most of it ahead of time, so you’re spending the night with guests and not in the kitchen!
Fall is the perfect time for slow cooking and comfort food. These braised short ribs have a deep, rich flavor that you can only get from slow cooked comfort food; and they are even better when prepared ahead of time – another reason they are perfect for a dinner party. Serve the short ribs atop creamy risotto, and your guest will be in heaven! This hearty meal is a soul mate for a rich Cabernet Sauvignon.
Braised Beef Short Ribs in Cabernet Sauce
Serves 8 (These servings are not huge; they are meant to be savored as a topping to the risotto.)
- 4 lbs. natural beef short ribs, cut English style, 1 ½ inch thick and trimmed,
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper, to taste
- Olive oil, as needed to coat the bottom of the pot for browning the beef
- 2 medium onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled, roughly chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 24 sprigs fresh thyme (8 for braising and 16 for garnish)
- 1 bottle Cabernet Sauvignon wine (don’t cook with wine you wouldn’t drink)
- 6 cups beef stock
- Using a nine-quart braising pot, add just enough oil to cover the bottom. Heat the oil over medium heat.
- Pat ribs dry and season ribs with sea salt and pepper. When the oil is hot, add the ribs.