Light Potato soup recipe! Potato soup in all its glorious forms (potato chowder, baked potato soup, potato & corn chowder) has always been a favorite of ours, but it can be so heavy. So driven by our love for potato soup, Elizabeth entered the kitchen inspired to create a “lighter” version without sacrificing the flavor.
No one can believe there’s no cream or even dairy in this recipe, it’s that good!
Potato Soup ‘Light and Right Recipe’
Author: Elizabeth Mascali
- 2 tubs chicken Knorr Homestyle Stock (concentrated)
- 7 cups water
- 1 medium sweet onion (like a Vidalia), diced
- 4 lbs. russet potatoes (peeled & cubed)
- salt & pepper to taste
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- Pour water into a stockpot and bring to a boil.
- Add 2 tubs of concentrated stock to boiling water and stir until dissolved, then cover and turn down to a simmer.
- Add cubed potatoes and onion and cook 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through.
- Remove pot from heat and using an immersion (stick) blender, puree just until smooth. (If you don’t have a handheld stick blender, you can use a blender, you’ll just need to cool the mixture before blending to avoid a soup explosion: hot liquid + blender = explosion.)
- Season with salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper to taste. Return soup to a low simmer for 15-20 minutes and serve.
Offer cayenne pepper on the side for those who wanted a little more heat, and toppings – bacon, cheese, sour cream, and chives, and warm crusty bread.