It’s time to break out the red, white and blue decorations, dust off the grill and party your swimsuit off! It’s a time to celebrate summer but let’s not forget that it’s a time to party patriotic. Get the coolers and the kitchens prepped for some fun dishes and be sure to find more vegan July 4th recipes on my Patriotic Plates post from last year as well as those from 2010, 2009 and 2008. Enjoy a very happy and healthy fourth with your best summer partying buddies!
- 18 baby new or fingerling potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- Kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 slice bread, crusts removed, torn into small pieces
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped drained roasted red peppers
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 plum tomato, cored and quartered
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons vegan sour cream
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
Combine the potatoes, 2 of the garlic cloves, the peppercorns and 1 teaspoon kosher salt in a medium pot. Cover with cold water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are just tender when pierced with a thin knife, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain and cool until still warm but no longer hot.