Boy Went Into Cardiac Arrest After Eating a Hot Dog

In just less than two weeks, we’ll be celebrating the harvest and beginning of autumn. So as the end of summer approaches quickly, kids and adults alike are still enjoying summertime treats like ice cream and hot dogs.

At a baseball game, or backyard barbecue, hot dogs – despite not being the healthiest choice – are a popular American food. Parents and kids love them and there are a lot of warnings out there to make sure you cut the hot dog into pieces for smaller kids, so they don’t choke, but this latest warning is something we’ve never even heard of before.

A 9-year-old boy opened his mouth wide for a bite of a tasty hot dog, but had no idea it could almost kill him — and it almost did. The boy took a big bit of a hot dog, with bun, and the bite sent him into cardiac arrest!

The boy’s heart stopped beating and he fainted soon after biting into a frankfurter while he was at school.

Paramedics were called and they worked on the unconscious boy for 30 minutes before they were able to get his heart rhythm back. And as it turns out, he wasn’t choking on the hot dog, like we would all suspect, but the scare eventually led to a rare diagnosis for him, and his brother.

hot dog
Credit: Pixabay

A bite of a hot dog sent this boy into cardiac arrest and right to the hospital.

1 2 3 4Next page

Maria Lianos Carbone

Maria Lianos-Carbone is owner of, a leading lifestyle blog for women. Her first book, "Oh Baby! A Mom's Self-Care Survival Guide for the First Year" will be published Spring 2018. Follow Maria on Instagram @amotherworld.

Related Articles


Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker